First Prize $200
Second Prize $100
Third Prize $75
Students provide digital rather than paper submissions.
Submission Dates: November 1, 2020 – February 1, 2021
The contest is open to any high school student (grades 9-12) residing in the San Francisco Bay Area (not limited to Marin County).
Submissions are limited to 3 poems per student.
Poems should be no longer than a single page using a 12-point plain font.
For each poem submitted, create a separate 2-page document.
Page 1 is the poem. The student’s name should not appear wiht their poem.
Page 2 should include the following information:
- Address including city and zip code
- Home phone
- Cell phone
- Grade level
- Name of school
- Name of English teacher
Students use Google Docs to submit poems to their English teacher.
Each English teacher collects their students’ poems in a folder. The folder name should include the teacher’s name and the name of the school.
At the end of the submission period each teacher will send their class folder to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please address any questions to: email@example.com
Submissions will be judged on:
- Courage of expression
- Originality of language
- Skill in poetic technique
How teachers can help:
- If an interested teacher at your school isn’t cc’d, please forward this info.
- If possible, plan your poetry unit during the contest submission period.
- Talk to students about the contest to stimulate interest.
- Turn a class poetry writing assignment into contest submissions.
- Submit poems created for slam or other poetry clubs.
- Post the attached contest Guidelines in your classroom.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns at: firstname.lastname@example.org